Proofreading & Copy Editing
Want your content to sound natural and appealing?
You’ve got unintelligible Machine Translated content on your hands? Perhaps you wish to change the tone of an otherwise fine text? Or you simply need a second pair of eyes to make sure everything is correct? No matter how rough or polished your text is, I’ll use my writing abilities to bring it to the next level and ensure it fulfills its purpose!
I personally work on French content but can team up with other professionals to cover other languages.
What’s the difference between “Proofreading” and “Copy Editing”?
Both involve reading and correcting an existing text but differ in the degree of freedom given to the reviewer to make changes:
• Proofreading: the reviewer focuses on making as few adjustments as possible to ensure that the text is grammatically correct, flows naturally and – in the case of a translation – is true to the original content in terms of tone and message.
• Copy Editing: the reviewer is allowed to make extensive changes to the text to not only ensure a natural flow, correct grammar and (in the case of a translation) a message true to the source, but also to modify the general tone if the customer requests it (for instance giving a fresh and energetic vibe to an otherwise dry report), to improve the overall quality of the text, to adapt it to the cultural sensitivity of the target audience, etc.
Examples of Past Projects
The following are examples of proofreading & copy editing projects I’ve worked on in the past:
• Copy editing website content that had been machine translated and edited by a translator to improve the flow of ideas and correct remaining mistakes and inconsistencies.
• Proofreading audioguide scripts to correct grammatical and syntax mistakes while maintaining their very unique tone.
• Copy editing the translated scripts of an animation series for children to change the tone from formal and “written” to “spoken” and informal (in line with their target audience).
• Proofreading dozens of translated texts on various topics to ensure consistency in the words chosen, respect of the customers’ instructions and official glossary, natural flow, truthfulness to the source text and overall grammatical accuracy.
• …and more!